Monday, May 3, 2010

There's More To Life Than College

It's finals week, a time when a measure of anxiety is unavoidable. Last semester, I let my anxiety over my schoolwork consume and define me. I got a 4.0, but I was extremely unhappy and let my spiritual life fall by the wayside. This Sunday, I went to Saint Agatha- Saint James Church on the University of Pennsylvania campus. Their 10 PM (yes, in the evening) mass is attended by dozens of college students from Penn, Drexel, Temple, etc, and the homilies are catered to that age group. This week, the priest advised us to not let ourselves be defined by a test score. I think that this is an important message for our era in particular. Many on the verge of adulthood are more concerned with money, career advancement, and selfish desires than personal growth and real, loving relationships, and I know that I'm guilty of such disillusionment from time to time. There is a difference between a 4.0 and a good education, and God has a lot more to tell us than a textbook. So good luck on finals everyone, do your best, but don't lose (too much) sleep over your exams, for they do not define you.

No comments:

Post a Comment