Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Just Say It

My friend Ishani says whatever is on her mind. Once, quite seriously, she told a professor not to expect her to be in class much because it was at 8:30 AM and she simply cannot manage to get up. She says what everyone else is thinking, without apology.

Although I wouldn't go that far, lately I've taken to saying the superfluous things that come to my mind. You know what I'm saying, when you see an acquaintance and you think to yourself, "hey, she gave a really great presentation in class yesterday" or "I really like her shoes", but most of the time they are just passing observations and remain unsaid because you may not even remember the person's name. But since I've found myself traveling solo this year at TCNJ, I've found that those little remarks give me a sense of human connection, and in the process I hope that I brighten their day too. Ever since my friend Onion committed suicide last month, I've been more in tune to the subtleties of human interaction. A short exchange of words can change the course of a person's day, and one day can change the course of a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment