Sunday, June 20, 2010

A "Stinky" Father's Day


Last night at approximately 11:00 PM, my cocker spaniel was sprayed in the face by a skunk in our backyard. She was shaking and proceeded to scrape her face along the deck before tracking the odor into the house. We've all smelled that skunk-y smell while driving along the road, but that's only the beginning. Get closer, and the smell becomes the pungent, unbearable scent of burning garlic. It is a multi-faceted odor that seeps into your furniture and carpets with just the presence of the contaminated creature. So this Father's Day, I didn't get to see much of my dad. He couldn't stand the smell anymore and rode his bike to my grandmother's house in Bellmawr, while my mom and I shampooed the rugs, sofas, floors, pillows, and, of course, the dog. After three hours, the house smells like a skunk drenched in Ajax.

Three baths later, along with a washcloth of vinegar to the face and quarantining in the basement, I think it's safe to say that my dog won't be venturing too far from the deck at night anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment